Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Nearly halfway there . . .

I'm bloody EXHAUSTED. Every time I forget that, while on the whole our holidays together are a success, SO's and my approaches to our joint time off differ in one or two key aspects. Well, one aspect really. He is SO BLIMMIN' UP-AND-AT-'EM! Can't have five minutes go by without hearing 'So what are we going to do today?' My favourite answer, always bitten back, is 'Bloody NOTHING! Why can't we just read our books for a bit!'

Especially as, oh yes, did I mention it's RAINING? (OK, not the entire time. Yesterday was quite nice, but that meant that Watergate Bay, which is indeed very lovely, was extremely crowded. Still lovely though.) Lovely weather for finding somewhere comfy, with a ready supply of good coffee, and reading.

Not a chance in Hell.

Day One - a cold, windy beach, Day Two - A cold, damp and VERY windy day mooching around Newquay, NOT finding a decent cup of coffee, a pair of Crocs that didn't make me look like Donald Duck or even a half-way decent boat in the harbour to look at. Bleurgh. Day Four - Watergate, and lovely. Day Four - ah. Now this was great. We visited Trerice again. It is SO PERFECT. If we could, we'd buy the place off the National Trust and set up home there. The grounds are laid out with a perfect balance between decorative, working and recreational, and the house itself is small (for an Elizabethan manor) and elegant. Go see this place. It's balm to the troubled soul, and to the weary, peace.

Dunno why I'm posting, when I could be reading Rankin Davis' 'Hung Jury'. So far, so gripping.

7 comments:

FirstNations said...

Please, please tell me you took them up on their offer to play 'Slapcock' on the Bowling Green.


*resumes comfy position in gutter alongside mind*

Betty said...

You have to make the most of a bad lot with the weather (well, this year is going to be a washout). At least you won't get the comedown that people returning from sunnier shores have when they hear the plane's pilot announce "we're just approaching Gatwick. The temperature in London is 15 degrees centigrade with low cloud and heavy showers".

Oh, and - STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

Mangonel said...

Well, my reproductive system is following Betty's example. What is it with Cornwall this year? So it's not 'Slap'cock I'll be playing, for a while anyway.

And should you care, the Rankin Davis was actually pretty good all the way through.

I, Like The View said...

I've brought some book abaout Lovely Bones - you read that?

*throws frisbee*

Zig said...

sympathy, sympathy - I have a SO just like that! I come back sometimes in need of a holiday just to get over the holiday with him!

Mangonel said...

Yes, I've read Lovely Bones, and thought it a bit odd. Looking forward to your opinion though, ILTV.

Anonymous said...

oooh couldn't read lovely bones (except through a little hole in my fingers) - had to skip over loads of bits.
glad you enjoyed watergate bay - we should have a blogging convention there or summat - there seems to be an awful lot of us that go there (or thereabouts). we often go in the easter hols. x