Thursday, July 19, 2007

In the meantime . . .

Here's a story from my friend E. She can't post this because she blogs real life, and the subject, or an acquaintance, may find it. So I'm going to do it for her!

'Re the ****** rector. I have been collating a list of stories evidencing his ‘eccentricity’. The latest is that from an occasion when there was a visiting children’s choir from Lithuania. They were scheduled to have drinks and nibbles at the Rectory as part of their visit, and arrived, were shown to the drawing room by Mrs Rector, and thence out through the French windows into the garden. In the garden, the Rector waved merrily to them from his task, and said, “With you in a moment!”. Gasps of horror from assembled Lithuanian kiddywinkles, as he was engaged in disembowelling a deer, and was red to the elbows. In his back garden. And actually I think the technical term is ‘gralloching’, and I don’t even know how I know that.'

Ain't country life grand!

4 comments:

007and a half said...

Mangonel, I gasped involuntarily on reading your tale. It's really very shocking.

... do they really still have french windows in the country?

What? No sliding folding German glass walls?

Unbelievable. Next you will be telling me that they still have York stone patios and not Italian marble.

....Goes off shaking head in disbelief, shock and horror.

Zig said...

I've never heard of gralloching and glad I haven't.

(It wasn't dave was it?)

I, Like The View said...

*bleueeeeeeyeuch

I think is the techincal term. . .

mind you, I do like a good venison pie everynowandagain. . .

(llamkins looks very much at home here!)

Mangonel said...

007.5, how I wish I knew a secret handshake, but you'll have to settle for 'Hello'. Well, being the country an' all, the 'man' probably had an X, a Y and a Z chromosome, so couldn't really be expected to grasp even the basic points of civilized living.

Zig, Dave hasn't owned up. I'm not pushing it.

I,LTV - I'm contemplating ushering llamkins to a place of greater safety, well away from gralloching clergymen. Or maybe disguising her as nun or something.