Thursday, July 12, 2007

If it walks like a duck . . .

I thought I'd better see for myself what this Second Life hoo-hah was all about. This in spite of not being awfully interested in pop music of any stripe, not madly interested in fashion, and not even slightly interested in, God forbid, Meeting New People. But hey, it's the same basis on which I once read a Barbara Cartland novel - I wanted to know what I was talking about. A rare enough stance for me - normally I'm perfectly happy to deliver lengthy opinions based on little more than headlines read from other people's papers, and them usually upside down. And it meant another detailed questionnaire. I love them - so probing.

A pretty cool bit was Choosing a Handle. Well - half of it was cool, because I was always gonna be Mangonel Something, wasn't I. The uncool bit was that they don't let you choose your own surname - well they do, but it's from a list of about 100 presets, of varying degrees of coolness. 'Aabye'? 'Barzane'? 'Cioc'? After to-ing and fro-ing up and down the list a coupla times, and declaiming the possibilities out loud (in front of a mirror. With a hairbrush for a mike. 'Ladeez and Gentlemen! Heee-ee-e-eee-re's Mangonel Etchegarayyyyyy!') I settled on a beautiful name.

Mangonel Anatine.

Isn't that lovely? It has internal alliteration, it's duodactylic, it feels good in the mouth. It has umami.

I signed myself up. I thought to myself, 'What a cool name! Wouldn't it be even cooler if it actually meant something? Yeah sure, Mangonel I'm pretty happy with, but Anatine? I know! Let's go Google!'


An´a`tine - (Zool.) Of or pertaining to the ducks; ducklike.





Well.

I said No. NO WAY. Uh-huh. Not me, no sirree Bob. I refused, withdrew my service, and cancelled the subscription.

And then changed my mind. (They say men's minds are dirtier than women's. Women change theirs more often.) I decided hey! Ducks are pretty cool! Especially shredded, with spring onions and plum sauce, wrapped in a pancake. The thought of that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, why not share the joy?

And then changed my mind when they wanted a WHOPPING $9.99 to reactivate the account I'd had for 14 seconds, and had cancelled about a minute and a half before. $9.99! So now I have to wait until 31st August before I can try again. But I will. You betcha. Quack.

8 comments:

Breezy said...

Excellent name I wish my brain had been in gear when I was doing the blogger thing. I feel so ordinary

Betty said...

Anatine? I thought it was a word that featured in a Lindisfarne song:

"The fog anatine is all mine, all mine,
The fog anatine is all mine."

Ahem. Never mind.

Anonymous said...

you sound like a character from star wars! (and, as you know, i've been close enough to count dooku (sp?)to have grasped his light sabre, should i have felt the urge - so i know from star wars)

Mangonel said...

Karen - this needs to be a whole other post. Well, the one I was talking about last post. Why blog? Why blog in secret? Why choose the name you do? I love being Mangonel - you could look into changing your name, but ordinary? You? Hmmm - don't think so.

Betty! Is that popular music?

RG - NO! I must have missed that story! PLEASE give me the link! (And I too was hurled into A Universe Far Far Away. And me firmly a Star Trek kinda girl. Oooh.)

I, Like The View said...

sorry, I'm in shock

you once read a Barbara Cartland novel. . .

!!

Valerie said...

Hrm... I tried SecondLife also, and lasted all of ten minutes. I made myself look as close to real life as possible -- including the extra 40 pounds and the big bags under the eyes -- and I /STILL/ got hit on. That got boring...

Mangonel said...

I,LTV, I know. My dedication to my art is boundless. (And after all these years, the damn book still leaves an aftertaste.)

Valerie - are you sure you are not getting hit on because you are generally pretty fab? Because if this is a feature of SL I'm joining up again NOW. My getting-hit-on muscles are SO out of shape.

Anonymous said...

oh - it was jeremy vine day. christopher lee was in the lift on the way out. oooooh - i felt all funny! he's immensely tall. x
(why does he always play counts? is it in his contract?)