Tuesday, February 13, 2007

NO CHOCOLATE

Please, please, there was supposed to be No Chocolate in the house. None. Nada. Zip. Every so often I get desperate, and truffle wild-eyed through the house, looking for some, anything that looks like it, anything at all I'M DESPERATE.


And I found the most unexpected stash. In the pantry there's a box, about a foot square, that you can tell doesn't see the light of day too often. It's full of cake making stuff - little bottles of coloured ink, a couple of syringy things, some little vials of vanilla essence (probably the real thing, as I sniffed and swooned) and this.



Four compartments, each filled with tiny bits of a different chocolatey treat. Snap the appropriate lid open, upend it into your waiting (and sweatily shaking, it has to be admitted) palm, and thence into your mouth. No, MY mouth. Get your mouth away, I found it, it's MINE.

*groan* I'm in bad shape.




Y'know, the fact that the sell-by date is Feb 2005 only adds to its savour.

Two compartments down, one to go. (The fourth one, for those of an unnecessarily pedantic turn of mind, is filled with something milk chocolatey. Ugh. I recently tried to persuade Jill Twiss of the virtues of a good plain chocolate, even going so far as to offer to send her some examples if she gave me an address, and she thought I was stalking her. Puh-lease. As if.)



UPDATE - My blogging skills are vestigial at best. Only on reading ILTVs comment did I realise that when I say 'chocolate', I mean top-end, 70% minimum cocoa solids, made with properly roasted beans. It's an definition so central to the way I live my life, that I utterly fail to appreciate that not everyone else does.

So when I say 'Weetos. Now I'm eating fucking WEETOS' you know how far I have fallen.

5 comments:

I, Like The View said...

I can only do the really really expensive quality stuff that is at least 70% cocoa solids and minimal sugar and hopefully in very nice packaging


mind you I do like Curly-Wurlys



and Crunchies



and Rolos



and Dime Bars




and Caramacs



happy valentine's day!

I, Like The View said...

(do you know that you can buy chocolate so posh - and, erm, expensive - that it comes in little individual slabs of "single bean" variety - a bit like proper whisky)

what's a wheeto?

and, while I'm here, can I add Milky Bars to the list above, purely on the basis that a Milky Bar probably contains no cocoa solids whatsoever

Valerie Polichar said...

Oh man, I did the same thing today. Only with other, crap chocolate. What's going on?!

Mangonel said...

ILTV - *shudder*. My teeth have gone all funny just thinking about your list. But I do remember those varietal bars. You can buy them online here.

But how come you don't know what Weetos are? I'm sure I remember a post of yours a while back about cooking for three small ingrates. Don't they live on Weetos? The ones I know do - it's all they'll eat when they visit.

Valerie - isn't it called cognitive resonance or somesuch?

Jill said...

This is old, but I did NOT say you were stalking me. So there. Send chocolate now :) Errrr....please?