Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Has this ever happened before? Not to me . . .

Here's a turn-up for the books - blogging as displacement activity. Usually it's sheets. I have the tidiest linen cupboard in the western hemisphere. Everything folded so that external folds are to hand, everything in its place, shelving all labelled, Single sheets, Double sheets, Big towels, Medium towels, Little towels and Comedy towels, Big duvets and Little duvets, all with their pillow cases tucked inside.

Occasionally SO takes something from a shelf, decides its the wrong thing and just shoves it back.

This makes me unnecessarily upset.

But then I realise that I really ought to post something, and am instantly drawn to the linen cupboard, soothing brows, righting wrongs, drawing order out of Chaos. (Should I pun on posting and 'writing' wrongs? Nah. Can't be arsed.)

This time, however, Chaos remains unresolved under my ministrations. This time, Noteworthy is defeating me, and of all the things I HATE, I hate the most feeling this stupid. Oh, and being STABBED IN THE BACK by a piece of software I loved and trusted.

I wanted the chords for 'Wide, wide as the ocean', and found them at The Cyber Hymnal. To my joy, not only did the site provide the chorded score, it was all done in Noteworthy, which I happen to have and love. Used to love. Used to think was a fabulous little piece of software, and cheap! Still cheap, mind.

So when I decided that the key was wrong for us, transposing the score from C to G was its usual doddle. Another easy set of chords, as well.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the chord letters on the score. They've not used a lyric line, but entered the letters as text expressions, I think. Short of recreating the whole thing, note for note, in a new file, and adding new chord letters, I decided to blog about it. That'll get the job done.

7 comments:

Flirty Something said...

Oh dear, am all too familiar with displacement. During final exams I took up gardening to help with stress. Ended up with wonderful herbaceous border and crap results. Am currently using blog as distraction from job hunting - disaster. Like your blog!

I, Like The View said...

the band's MD uses a piece of musical software called Sibelius. . .

I iron as a displacement activity from blogging - how much sense does that make?

ho hum

I, Like The View said...

I meant Belle and Sebastian the children's tv show, from the 60s - not the music band who always come up in a google search when one tries searching for Belle and Sebastian the 60s children's tv show

I'll post a picture tomorrow, to try and jog your memory (if have a memory of the late 60s!)

FirstNations said...

oo! oo! i bet i know someone who can fix it!
go here:
http://tamburlaine-the-great.blogspot.com/
and tell her i made you and you had no choice because i was going to put gum in your hair. she's a music maven! worth a visit just because of that, btw.
the first three paragraphs of this post?
me too.
ME TOO.
RISE, ORGANIZERS!

realdoc said...

Can you please come and tidy my linen closet? I'll bet you have several categories of towels.
If blogging is a displacement activity for life, blog on!

Mangonel said...

Flirtysomething - it's our first date and you call my blog a disaster. I guess things can only get better!

ILTV - will look more closely at Sibelius, but on cursory examination I don't think I'm clever enough. And I resolved the transposition problem rather neatly, I thought, BY LEAVING IT ALONE. It was written in C Major, we will perform it in C Major. There.

FN, did I give the impression I am organized? Not really - well, it's an extremely localised organised-ness.

Realdoc, happily. I'll bring sticky labels and everything.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, it was a great read! On the subject of sticky labels a while back i found a british labels company who printed me some sticky labels for a really low price. If interested then it may be worth taking a look at their website as they did many types of label printing.