Sunday, November 19, 2006

Not another Sunday

I was going to do something pithy about how I reckon Philip Pullman is a closet theist - so tightly closeted that even he doesn't know. But that's going to have to wait until I finish the trilogy. I should have finished Desolation Island before I got to Northern Lights, but lost the book, and only found it again halfway through Subtle Knife. Now I'm in the uncomfortable position of having two gripping reads on the go at once.

And I had to start Northern Lights because my mate Janie, who only reads biography and history, wanted a reason to read something out of her normal run. She suggested I start a book group, and as she is a person of deeply held Christian belief, I suggested the Pullman(!) for the first meeting. Which happened last Thursday. I wish it had been more of a success than it was. Only three of us were prepared to do much talking, and when you leave deliberate gaps for other attendees to leap in, and they don't, then you rather run, however unwillingly, out of steam. Nevertheless, the next book has been suggested - Claire Tomalin's Samual Pepys.

I got back to Desolation Island, as I will have to time my reading of the end of Subtle Knife quite carefully - last time I read it I wept aloud, and if it happens again I don't think I'd care for an audience.

Watched Master and Commander this evening - didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I might. Actually liked it quite a lot. Though I would still recommend the books heartily - exciting, atmospheric, thrilling, and occasionally hilarious. Realdoc, if you read this, I don't know how I could have not added Dr Stephen Maturin as my vote for Best Fictional Doctor. And he worked without an anaesthetist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr Realdoc is a Patrick O'Brian fanatic and Stephen Maturin is a very cool doctor indeed. The whole series is very blokish but very well written.

Claire Tomalin's Pepys is fantastic as is everything Pepysian in my opinion.

I know the ex-warden of Exeter college (the basis of Jordan). She was going to have a wardrobe built in the fellows common room (retiring room) after reading the books because she loved it so much. I really wish she had done.