Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Memes again, with a bit of Scrabble

By rights this should be BiB's post, but as he won't, I will. Oh, where to start, where to start . . .

I was tagged by Realdoc in the current meme-go-round. I've been thinking not only about the five things (it's a tricky one as already discussed) (isn't it the Jesuits who have the Four Last Things? Major meme-ing there) but also whom I might tag in turn. I asked BiB if I might tag him, and made a suggestion as to one of the five things he might offer, but he declined. Remember that last bit, it's going to crop up again. Not the declining, the suggestion.

AT THE SAME TIME, BiB has been making ingenious plans for a radical life-make-over, part of which depended on him learning the German for 'Fucked if I know'. Bizarre but crucial. Then the ingenious plan had a rewrite, this time relocating to Pyongyang, but this meant acquiring the Korean for 'Fucked if I know'.

AT A VERY SIMILAR TIME, BiB and I coincided at online Scrabble. ( You have to know I will never be good enough to play this man. His 'rating' is ENORMOUS - biggest one I've ever seen, no word of a lie. The one and only game we had was a pity game. In more ways than one.) During our respective games we chatted, and - oh bugger, I can't remember what actually led up to it, but he was all for storming the Romanian embassy demanding blood. I wondered idly what the Romanian for 'Fucked if I know' was, and he said 'fuckinescu'. I lost it. I laughed so much my forehead hit the keyboard hard enough to leave attractive plaid indentations.

ANYWAY. My suggestion to BiB was that one of his five things might be that he had amassed the largest collection of translations for the phrase 'Fucked if I know' in existence. Any linguists out there who can offer others?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for your 5 things. Not sure if 5 posts about the 5 things meme counts.