Friday, November 10, 2006

'Mi chiamo MEME'

I've been tagged by RealDoc in this meme merry-go-round that's exploding over the known blogworld like a rash. I'm supposed to post Five Things About Me (and then tag three other bloggers.) Fine by me - besides being as flattered as all-get-out, there is nothing I like better than to go on and on about li'l ol' ME (thinks: is that the origin of the word? it was Richard Dawkins after all*). One of the few hours in my life the memory of which still shines (not that I've had a particularly grim life, far from it, but after a good few years memories recede, textures get rubbed flat, colours blur) was a 'second interview' for an IT company. Now, most 'second interviews' are conducted by the Personnel Department of the company offering the job you are seeking, and all these lovely people-type people are doing is making sure that if you are an actual axe-murderer that the axe stays in the handbag. This particular IT company was teeny-tiny - a man, a woman (who I discovered far too late in the day were partners in more ways than one, but that's a whole other head-game) and, heaven help me, a Girl Friday. Certainly no Personnel Department. Instead, I found myself being interviewed by a brass-plate, deep-leather-armchair, teetering-piles-of-books, bearded psycho-pick-your-own-suffix (who I discovered far too late probably in the same day was the actual shrink of the male partner who had been in intensive therapy for years, but that's part of the same head-game). It was the closest by a LONG way I had ever come to a practitioner of this or any related psycho-PYOS so I had no idea of how to play it. In the event, it consisted of a 'chat' consisting of me talking about myself, and him paying so much attention that every question he asked was specifically designed to get me to talk about myself some more. It was heaven. So, Five Things About Me should be easy-peasy**.

But how is it metic? (Neologism there - no idea what the adjective from Meme is. I tried 'mimetic' first, but that means something different). A meme tells you how to do something, how to bake a cake or celebrate mass or play pelota, none of which I am competent to do (well, my cakes are OK I guess, but I think I beat the mixture too long after I've added the flour)***. Oh hang on, maybe that could be a meme - 'I bake cakes, but I think they are too tough - maybe I beat the mixture too long after I've added the flour.' *hastily* that one doesn't count, I was only f'r-instancing. Also it's dull. Oh bugger -

Maybe Five Things About Me is not going to be easy-peasy after all, as the unwritten adjective is 'blogworthy'. Ah - this is where I get to use 'mimetic' in the sense of art framing nature by selectively representing it.

I think I'll have to get back to you on this one . . .

*nope - Wikipedia says 'a shortening of the Greek "mimeme" (something imitated).

** Bugger - I've used up my annual allocation of hyphens in this post alone

*** Anyone got any spare parentheses they can lend me? Just 'til the end of the year. . .

2 comments:

BiB said...

Not easy, is it, having to reveal all online? Especially as we all seem to vaguely want to be sort of anonymous. So what revelations might you make?

Anonymous said...

Yeah go on then.