Thursday, November 16, 2006

Meme

1. I grew up in South Africa (we left at the insistence of my mother, who deeply disagreed with the prevailing politics), which means I cannot not notice the colour of someone's skin. I bitterly resent that.

2. I play classical guitar to a not-very-advanced level. Which, considering how long I've been doing it, is downright embarrassing.

3. I am the laziest person I know. By a long way.

4. I had a same-sex romance which lasted about 18 months. Ended in tears, but while it was going - yowza.

5. A favourite thing is toasted granary bread with a bit of butter, spread with Bovril and raspberry jam. Excuse me a moment . . .

*wiping buttery crumbs from fingers*
PLEASE LEAVE THE FOLLOWING IN ALL POSTS
'Remember that it isn't always the sensational stuff that writers are looking for, it can just as easily be something that you take for granted like having raised twins or knowing how to grow beetroot. Mind you, if you know how to fly a helicopter or have worked as a film extra, do feel free to let the rest of us know about it.'

I tag Marsha Klein, the Blind Flaneur, and First Nations. As none of them come anywhere near this blog, I better go leave comments on theirs. Before I lose my nerve.

ps - Blast! I did a day's work as an extra on 'Tom and Viv'! I only just remembered. It was in the dance-hall sequence and we got to wear original WWI clothes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours are much more interesting than mine.
Jam and bovril hmm.

Anonymous said...

Even growing up in multikulti London as I did, I think children then were very aware of race and all the stereotypes that came with that too. South Africa was obviously a bonkers, special case, but I don't think you'd be unable to notice skin-colour if you'd always lived in the UK.

Jam and bovril!

I've moved, slightly, by the way.

Mangonel said...

Realdoc - I think the vitamin c in the jam aids the absorbtion of the iron in the bovril. Its actually very healthy if you think about it.

BiB - thank you for the POV - maybe I should have said that I am conscious of it. Maybe what happens is that I am reminded that such a political system existed and that I benefitted from it and I'm ashamed for all of it. ENOUGH now.

Do you know your blog has taken to opening at a late July entry? Is it me or did something break?

Marsha - look for Realdoc's post on November 9th. I don't know how to link the actual entry. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

No, I've moved...

(What's a POV?)

Tim F said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with being aware of race, any more than you notice hair colour or protruding ears or peculiar trousers. It's the assumptions you make as a result that are important.

Wyndham said...

I saw a creature with peculiar ears and assumed it was an elephant.


No, actually, come to think of it, I saw the trunk.

Mangonel said...

Mr Footman - you are, of course, correct. Didn't I read somewhere that 93% of all communication is non-verbal? Some staggering number anyway. In which case, we all make a raft of assumptions about anyone we meet, based on arbitrary criteria. (whisper) i think Realdoc once confessed to having red hair - bet she has a heck of a temper!(/whisper)