Sunday, March 09, 2008

Recipe

Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Brush a 20cm removable-base tin with melted butter, and dust with ground almonds.

Melt together 300g plain chocolate (min. 60% cocoa), 275g caster sugar, 165g unsalted butter and a pinch of salt. Remove from the heat.

Whisk five large eggs together with a tablespoon of ground almonds, and fold into the chocolate mixture. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.

To cool, remove the base of the tin, carefully burning yourself on the forearm and tipping the entire confection onto the top of your gas hob, ensuring you get sufficient quantities into the hard-to-reach areas under the pan support grids.

Swear Significant Other to grave-like secrecy. Your secrecy, his grave.

Thanking the good Lord in Heaven that you cleaned your hob-top within living memory, pick out enough bits to fill four bowls, and put the bowls into the fridge. Put the remainder into a fifth bowl, and pick at this for the next two hours, while you are preparing dinner for your guests.

Hope that you got all the bits of last week's rice out, and serve with crossed fingers and cream.

(The ingredients and method are from the competely fantastic Green & Black cookbook. The presentation is all mine.)

(And I can't even blog this on my RL blog, because they will read it.)

10 comments:

Dave said...

Oooh.

Tim F said...

Repeat after me: Rice? Oh, yes, it's for added fibre. I got the idea from Gillian McKeith.

Zig said...

oh yes - I know this one! I have a similar pavlova / eton mess that involves the kitchen floor and additional crunchie catfood (fish variety).
(Mine, I believe, has the edge because it doesn't involve self harm!)

Valerie said...

I swore to Rob that the Pyrex dish could go on the burner. Thirty minutes later, the Mother's Day fritatta joined a million pieces of Pyrex in a wild new redecoration of my mother-in-law's kitchen.

Unfortunately Pyrex isn't digestible, so I didn't have your option. But hey, I'm all for it.

Valerie said...

Er, frittata. I can't spell tonight.

Anonymous said...

I don't see how it could have tasted anything short of fab with all those lovely things in it. However, if asked for the recipe, it would probably be better to pass it on in the original.

FirstNations said...

...place in 500 dgree oven to seal and forget for 1 hour. when flames begin jetting out of the cooktop wait until a black stripe approximately three feet long appears on your kitchen wall. remove roast from oven, extinguish flames, wipe with a wet dishtowel, open lots of windows and serve.

yep, yep yep.

Mangonel said...

Dave, what a multi-purpose comment.

Valerie, Zig, FN - what a completely fabulous set of recipe stories (except, Zig, you gotta realize that a soupçon of either lifeblood or actual blackened epidermis can make or break a recipe).

Tim - Great idea. I know what a big fan of Dr. Mckeith you are.

Marsha, try the recipe, honest. It's delish, even plucked from a gas hob top and tipped any old how into a bowl.

I, Like The View said...

have you ever made the River Cafe chocolate no flour thingy? I haven't either - while all the eggs were whisking with the sugar in the KitchenAid, I was out the back having a quick fag, and it overflowed onto the kitchen counter the floor. . .

. . .didn't even make it into the oven!

:-)

Mangonel said...

Man, I am SO GLAD I no longer smoke!