Friday, June 22, 2007

Thirty Pieces of Silver

. . . or the digital camerical equivalent.

The big har-de-har in my household is How I Can Never Remember My Own Anniversary. I can tell you more-or-less the month, but detail any finer than that eludes me. In actual fact, after many years of wedded bliss, and much jeering, new synaptic paths have had no choice but to form, and these days I can actually give you the actual date, two times out of three.

And this year was one of them. This time I was ahead of the game. Ready with the carefully selected oak-aged hand-decanted single malt. Well yar boo sucks to you, I thought. I've got my rabbit up my sleeve, my trump card in my hat. Present me with any gift you like, I'm ready. Do Your Worst.

Well ha bloody ha to me then, because this was the year that SO forgot. We co-incided for about two minutes that morning, time enough for him, all rumpled and aghast, to tell me he'd only just realised what Day it was, and for me to thunder up the stairs, retrieve the whiskey, thunder back down again, push it into his nerveless fingers, before belting out of the house. Not even time for a quick 'nyer nyer nya-nyer nyer'.

And where did that leave me? In possession of The Moral High Ground, that's where. TMHG. A very strange experience for me, as TMHG is SO's natural habitat. Later that day he was agonising about what he could possibly get me (Why? What the hell are Amazon Wish Lists for?) when I told him that a) tenancy of TMHG, however fleeting, and b) the absolute right to crow over this, FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES, were of themselves gifts beyond price.

So today he goes and ruins it all by presenting me with the sweetest little camera* I ever did see. It is so cute, and so easy to use, and fits so handily in a pocket. It's a relatively recent model, so the budget will have yelped a bit.

The sod.

But hey - TMHG gave me altitude sickness, and crowing makes my throat sore.

* (The mobile on the left is for scale. Pay attention.)

8 comments:

Sylvia said...

OOh - very nice.
For our recent 20th anniversary we just went out for the day to the Dulwich Picture Gallery.

Anonymous said...

Lovelily, entertainingly written. You're on top form, Mango!

I recently invested in a little digital camera but the batteries have run out, so I shall never use it again. I'd have sent SO mine if I'd known.

Breezy said...

neither of us remember anniversaries, birthdays have to be hinted at heavily (as in do you know it's my birthday in two weeks,days etc)valentines just passes us by. It's the day to day stuff (and knowing how much you'd like that camera) that's important

I, Like The View said...

dinky little camera (but what did you use to take the photo with!?)

Zig said...

well lets see some cute little pictures then!

FirstNations said...

yes, we need cute little pictures taken from your new vantage point up there on your high horse!

(have NEVER remembered mine. ever. once.)

Anonymous said...

curse him for getting such a fab pressie. how inconsiderate can a person get, eh? i hope you're making him suffer.
happy anniversary - it was ours too on saturday. thank goodness it didn't rain on that loooong ago day the way it did this year!

Mangonel said...

Sylvia - I remember you posting about that day. It sounded really nice.
BiB - you're lovely. Thank you so much. (Send me the camera anyway. I'll recharge it for you and send it back.)
Karen, I swear up and down that I can't remember the date because its Not That Important.
ILTV, Zig, FN, I forgot to post a picture of a weed very common in my village. Next time.
RG - the blasted man now wants to borrow MY camera. (We had a beeyootiful day for our nuptials as well.)