Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Humble Pie for supper tonight - one of my less favourite dishes.

I have succeeded, through laziness, with a dash of incompetence, and a smidge of abandonment issue (but mostly laziness), in hacking off a friend. We used to see each other a lot - our schedules brought us into contact frequently, and we used to get together once a week to play guitar duets.

Thinking back, the hacked-offedness may have started when I got insistent about her seeing a proper teacher, as the technique she was developing all be herself was seriously poor. Nagged - that's the word I'm looking for. The Repetition of Unpalatable Truths. (She did, and he was very helpful.)

But stuff got in the way - major house renovations in both households, new jobs, different schedules, meant we have hardly seen each other at all over the last few months. A couple of times I suggested meeting, but got turned down (hence the abandonment issue). She then e-mailed, suggesting a trip to a concert, (to hear Emma Kirkby. Talk about cutting my nose off to spite myself.) which, relying on seeing her around as had been our wont, I failed to reply to. She tried again, and again I was too late with my reply for there to be any tickets available.

So for the past few weeks we have both found reasons not to coincide anywhere at all.

But hey - it's a pretty small village, and there's a limit to how long this can go on, so we are meeting tonight for a drink, and for me to abase myself. Grovel. Eat DIRT.

I hate being in the wrong.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Ugh. Been there. Hope the grovelling need only last a few minutes, and then the enjoying-the-drink part can start...

Sylvia said...

You know what? Life's like that, and she'll just have to get over it.
Most of my acquaintances have very busy lives, and it's only the people with eff all to do who worry about things like that.

But in future, I suggest replying straight away - that generally avoids any nastiness... And the word no comes in very useful.

So don't beat yourself up about it.

I, Like The View said...

I'm with sylvia - being able to say "no" is far more important than being able to say "yes"; if one can't say "no", then saying "yes" is meaningless. . .

hope it went well and that you are chums again

:-)

Mangonel said...

Um, ah, well - see the next post. Yeegh.