Sunday, October 29, 2006

The History Boys

Made me wish I had seen it on stage (only because I love theatre but have very little chance of going, rather than any deficiency of the movie). Bennett packs so much into his scripts it makes me want to grab the nearest copy, quantities of coffee and chocolate-covered rice cakes and hole up until I have read the thing many many times, highlighted all the important bits using a colour coded system for crossreferencing and footnoting, and underlined all the really important bits and written in the margin 'how true . . .' . And learn half the dialogue for casual insertion into conversation and passing it off as my own.

I haven't seen enough Bennett to pontificate, but it does seem to me that the bottom line in all his work is LOVE. Many-formed, many-splendoured, and many-prosecuted. No writer I know makes the occurrence of love between men such a tender thing.

p.s the piano-playing hottie is Jamie Parker, MUCH sexier than his photo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to the stage version tomorrow. What a coincidence. Not the original cast unfortunately but still, should be good.

Mangan, eh? Bit of a Caromac person myself but might be starting to get the Guy thing.