Monday, February 18, 2008

Enough already

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that, unless one has a spare room awash with sacks of fivers, a USB turntable is (currently) *sigh* the way to go. Yes,
  • it takes ages,
  • it's a pain, and
  • the quality of the resulting digital tracks is not all one could wish,
but on the other hand,
  • you do get to listen to all that lovely music,
  • you do focus on what LPs you do want to spend the effort on,
  • if one had ears good enough to be bothered by the slight drop in quality one be would be earning a damn sight more as some sort of fancy consultant for Deutsche Grammophon. That or the blind bloke on a boat in Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow.
There are, of course, people who will do it all for you, For A Price. The cheapest I could find was £10 an album, at which point unless one's collection was really obscure (Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, anyone?) one really may as well just buy the CDs.

But, dammit darn it, now I'm all excited about exploring areas of technology hitherto distant dreams. Next Post - My New Electric Toothbrush. Don't hold your breath though, as SO and I are off to the wilds of Wiltshire for a few days. I expect my toothbrush to come in quite handy.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Once you've transposed your entire collection, may I borrow the counterweight and head from your player? No one seems to sell spares, and I'm loath to buy a whole new player.

Tim F said...

A toothbrush with a USB? What does it do, plot the location of all your fillings onto a PowerPoint slideshow?

Mangonel said...

Dave - of course.

Tim, you scallywag, you open up vistas of the imagination hitherto undreamt of. Why aren't you working for Microsoft, or at least Innovations?