Monday, May 28, 2007

Ha ha ha ha I win!

Look at my lovely beanpoles! You could argue that's they are the happy resolution to a series of purchasing disasters, but I prefer to think of them as the culmination of a series of horticultural experiment.
Having missed the window of opportunity for planting seeds, I caved and bought baby plants of sugarsnap peas and french beans. (And got very annoyed at having to dispose of the expanded polystyrene containers. Bah.) Knowing that these legumes climb, I also bought very fancy one metre high poles for them to do so.
Well. My mother informed me, luckily before I had done any planting, that the beans would grow to six foot, and the peas would only reach 18 inches. She recommended bamboo poles, which she has, and very charming and rustic they look too. So off I went, back to the garden centre (AGAIN) and found these completely wonderful spirally jobs. Six quid for a pack of three, but just how beautiful are they! (And a pack of six very fancy 50 cm metre high poles for the peas.)
When my mother heard how much I had paid for these things of beauty and joys forever, she was aghast. Aghast, I tell you. 'WHAT!' she wailed. 'But that's what my bamboo poles cost!'

8 comments:

Breezy said...

Very nice! We were too tight to buy anything. We have a collection of poles from pruning the lime tree and old ladders. Ramshackle but cheap that's us.

Dave said...

I expect that old has-bean Murph will pop over with some pun about having bean there and done that, so I thought I'd say something first.

Zig said...

they're fab! Which garden centre? where? I bet it's not a national chain. If you're ever looking for a job may I recommend a little stay in deepest weed strewn Wiltshire? I know just the spot!

I, Like The View said...

joy! bean poles! lovely garden! has made me smile! thank you!

:-)

(will expect and look forward to more piccies of progress!)

Mangonel said...

Karen, but you have a lovely veggie plot. I just bung random stuff into my flowerbeds. (If you look behind the beans, you can see the four-foot long asparagus stalk from last year's planting. Can't wait.)

Dave - as long as he doesn't pea over my beans, he's welcome.

Zig, Van Hage. But I don't think it's their own brand - next time I'm there I'll have a proper look at the label and let you know. Unless I see you in darkest Wiltshire. (I spent a year as a child in Warminster, back when it was small and pretty - anywhere near you?)

I,LTV - don't recall too much about gardening at your gaff - do you have an outdoors?

Rog said...

Phew!

I, Like The View said...

at the back huge

too huge. . .

(am swapping it for a minimal postage stamp sized patio, which I shall fill with pots full of lovely lavender and herbs. . .)

at the front south facing, tiny with a little pond, planned by Smallest Person, with a fish and some frogs (fish put in by her, frogs there by their own choice!)

have a bench at the front on which I sit to smoke my fags on sunny days, with lavender and rosemary and thyme to each side

we lived in Shropshire for two years and I had half an acre and tried the whole self sufficiency thing but failed miserably as I had a toddler and a new born and post-natal depression, but had v successful herb garden. . .

only really like gardening if there is someone to garden with, I found doing it on my own was lonely

like many aspects of life really!

:-)

Anonymous said...

they're lovely! what are they made of? (or do i mean, of what are they made?)
x