Monday, May 21, 2007

Bridezilla

Filing systems and I have always remained on cordial, if distant, terms. Not that I have anything against them per se, but I know that as soon as I file something, it's as good as gone. I'll never find it again. So if it's something I need to remember, I sticky-tape it somewhere. Sometimes outside cupboards, sometimes in. All of this is post-new kitchen. Pre-new kitchen was heaven - if I needed to write something dowm, I wrote straight onto the wall. (Of course it ended in disaster - was I organised enough to copy the data off the wall before the decorators arrived? Was I Hell.) (This cupboard is representative.)

And then look what arrives! Not a weddng invitation, but a reminder that a wedding invitation is on the way. And I don't have to tape it anywhere, because it has - wait for it - A MAGNETIC BACKING. So I can put it straight onto my fridge* as a reminder that, in the fullness of time, I will be receiving a wedding invitation. Not only that, when it reaches the end of its useful life, and I throw it away, it won't recycle! It will sit in landfill for ever!

By profession, the bride is an Event Organizer. So here we have the magnetic You-Have-Been-Warned, apparently there is also A Swatch. And not a wristwatch either, but a fistful of scraps of material, with which our outfits have to tone. I can't wait for the next thing.

On the upside, the wedding is in Johannesburg. It's looking extremely likely that I will be allowed to go.


* My fridge is one of those built-in numbers, so it has a wooden front. Never mind, I can always sticky-tape the Advance Warning up.

7 comments:

FirstNations said...

i hope she's a good friend, because if twere me i'd boycott the event based solely on the advance warning/magnet. oy friggin vey!

Anonymous said...

a swatch? A SWATCH! that's very worrying indeed.

Anonymous said...

I think these "Save the Date" things (new since I was wed shortly after the last ice-age ended) are just another manifestation of how weddings have become Big Business. I mean, they always were, to a certain extent, but now? Anyway, These things allow stationers to charge you twice over for your invitations - brilliant!

I, Like The View said...

I'd quite like an Events Manager right now - hey! a gap in the market. . . someone to plan your divorce for you

oh, sorry, you were talking about weddings

;-)

what colour were the swatches then - go on, spill the beans, you know you want to (but not on the watches, obviously)

I, Like The View said...

(thats not supposed to sound grumpy by the way - sorry if it did)(lucky you! a nice trip!!)

:-)

Mangonel said...

FN - I met her for a few days over Christmas - she's marrying my cousin. She was really quite scary. But Jo'burg is where I grew up, and I would get the chance to revisit old home / school / church which is very tempting.

Marsha - I hadn't even thought of the old you-pay-twice angle! It's bloody genius!

RG - I know. What if it's not my colours? I'm a Blue Spring, dontcha know, and we Blue Springs are notoriously difficult to dress.

I,LTV, I did think you might have been smiling while you were commenting. And you are right - there's definitely a gap in the market.

dinahmow said...

So...your cousin is a mild little chap who'll enjoy being organised (bossed?)to the nth degree...?