Monday, April 23, 2007

Oh, the pressure

My friend Lin is of Singaporean extraction. That is, her parents are both Singaporean, she was born and brought up there, but studied medicine here, practises here (STDs. Ugh.), married an Englishman (ok, Lithuanian Jew. But seriously English.) and raises their son Matthew. They live in a lovely bit of Chiswick. Some four years ago hubby was offered a prestigious post in Singapore - Lin's theory was that she herself was a major factor, on the grounds that she would so love being 'home' again she would persuade hubby to stay longer than the two years he had agreed. Ha - fat chance.

ANYWAY. She found what she thought was a lovely nursery for Matthew, where he seemed happy enough, until she eventually got round to buying the required uniform T-shirt, and promptly removed him from the school.

Isn't it FANTASTIC? I reckoned that if I had made up a batch and hawked them around W4 I'd have made a killing.

8 comments:

Rog said...

I think it falls into the "Hostage to Fortune" category...

I, Like The View said...

oh g*d

I spend my whole life avoiding pushy parents who do this to their off-spring

(and I'm not just talking the t-shirt)

but you're right, you would have made a HUGE amount of money

I am so alone

(nice floor!!)

I, Like The View said...

(have got plain old knackered floorboards myself, and splinters a plenty - very envious of people with lovely floors)

Tim F said...

Singapore is one of the weirdest places I've ever been to. It's like a tropical Stepford.

But it's got a nice zoo.

Anonymous said...

and were the little darlings able to read this? or did they have to recite it every morning? bleuuurgh!

Dave said...

Which reminds me, the uniform at Gravesend Grammar school...

Oh, sorry, wrong blog.

The Dog of Freetown said...

I want one.
No I seriously do.
You could make a fortune with those!

Mangonel said...

Murph - poor little buggers. I think Matthew got out before any lasting damage was done.

ILTV - now that you have NOTHING TO DO ALL DAY, you could borrow one of those lawnmowers from Hell and sand the floor. Complete bugger, but very satisfying.


Hey Tim. But is a nice zoo good enough?

RG, go read Dave's post. *shiver*. Dave - just post about it. You know you want to.

Kieran, you would look sensational in one. I now have this picture of 'you' in this Tshirt in my head, and I'm caressing it verr-r-rry slo-o-wly . . .