Monday, April 09, 2007

Chocolate

That's Easter over and done with for another year, then And what have I learned this Paschal tide? That while it might say 85% on the wrapper, it may very well not do.

Those bloody eggs. Having lovingly put the patterns in different coloured chocolate, and filled the moulds with careful layers of the plain stuff, ON MY OWN, it was time to put the eggs together. The little ones popped out of their moulds very easily, and it was the work of moments to paste the halves together. Well, it would have been moments if I hadn't had to keep washing my hands.

I'd used blimmin' cooking chocolate, hadn't I. All organically grown and fairly traded and all, but the stuff, as indeed it's supposed to, melts at a breath, never mind body temperature. The little eggs are all smeared messes, and the two big ones, destined for my mother and my sister, JUST WILL NOT COME OUT OF THEIR MOULDS. Without breaking into tiny little pieces, obviously.

Though a big upside to all this has been my discovery that as a method of taking and storing clearly defined fingerprints, cooking chocolate is second to none. I'm going to write to Gil Grissom. Maybe he'll want to discuss it over a bottle of wine . . .

4 comments:

I, Like The View said...

I think you might be able to work fingerprints into your design objectives for the eggs

:-)

(I used to place those suggar flowers on the home made chocolate eggs to avoid the fingerprint issue - you could hold the egg with the flower, if you see what I mean)(then I stopped buying cooking chocolate - it tastes of wax anyhow!)

how irritating tho, after all your hard work

hope they taste good anyhow

FirstNations said...

nobody really cares how they look, darling! they're CHOCOLATE!
i know, though...frustrating isn't it. chocolate is a @#$%er to work with.

Valerie said...

Oh, yeah. I've done this. Not quite same; I poured it into molds and got it out in the shape of.. blobs. Nice-tasting chocolate blobs, but melted all over my hands, the counter. I ended up licking the chocolate out of the molds and no one got any.

Have had better luck more recently with tempering and all that. I make a mean chocolate-dipped Turkish-style (much less sweet than German) marzipan, now. But it's a royal pain in the patootie, I must say.

But, yummy.

Mangonel said...

ILTV! Fingerprints as design objective! You genius!

FN - D'ye know, having melted and smeared and re-melted and stuck and layered and re-melted again and and and and, I was bored. Bored, I tell you.

Valerie - ah now, a decent marzipan. There's a thing of beauty.