Sunday, April 13, 2008

Less of a celebration, more of a rip-off

Lovely Significant Other, who couldn't be less interested, but knows I am, turned up with two tickets to the Doctor Who exhibition. So, come Saturday afternoon, off we traipsed to West Brompton.

I dunno, maybe it was the gap between expectation and fulfillment, but I was disappointed. (Possibly also the gap between moulded plastic and CGI, I dunno.) There were some good bits, like How To Build An Ood, and a static display of life-size Daleks that came VERY SUDDENLY to life, also setting some unsuspecting small children to crying ha ha ha ha, and, I guess, for those so inclined, the actual real true-life Waitress costume As Worn By Kylie, but otherwise -

Nah. The jeans worn by La Piper? A cat-faced nun? A Victorian telescope that looked just a leetle like it had been made out of a gigantic loo-roll and some sticky-backed plastic? And a Tardis with DO NOT TOUCH all over it, so the much-longed-for photo of Moi in its doorway is going to have to wait for my much closer acquaintance with Photoshop? And a shop where the minimum price-hike was 20%.?

And all over kids (not that I'm agin 'em in principle, you understand, but when they get in my way to this degree?) standing by the exhibits, looking gormless, and having to keep out of the way while Doting Parent takes a picture?

Again, Nah. I'll stick to watching it on telly There's only So Far one can take fandom, and with a grateful kiss to Significant Other, this was A Step Too Far.




Actually the Stone Angel was quite good, positioned in a suitably unexpected corner. And the Empress of Raknoss was BIG. That was good too.

8 comments:

FirstNations said...

I'd go.

yes, I would.

and if there was a long stripey muffler for sale in the shop, i'd buy it.

and wear it.

*pulls paper bag over head to hide extreme nerdiness*

I, Like The View said...

knit one, FN!

when I was very young my godfather painted the Dr Whos for a series of chocolate bars and we had neighbours with no tv who used to come up on a Saturday night to watch it but still not see it because they hid behind the sofa

my children prefer Torchwood

strangely I went to sleep last night trying really hard NOT to think about the Stone Angels - they really really scared me

%-)

Anonymous said...

Wonder if I should go to get over my childhood fear. Yep, it was actual hiding behind the sofa and crying for me too. Is the theme tune still the same?

Mangonel said...

FN, a nerd? SURELY NOT! (I *heart* Dr.4 too)
And Torchwood can be blimmin' scary too.
BiB- I don't think it would make much sense without having seen the show - get it on DVD. Yes, scary, but cracking dialogue too. Or get Torchwood and drool over Captain Jack. I can't tell you how PLEASED I am to see a popular TV series where the lead character is tall, excessively handsome, and WAAAAY cool.
And very gay.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I bought my kids some Dr Who videos when they were seven and five (ten years ago). They were keen, very keen. We set off for the Dr Who exhibition in Llangollen, hoping for an encounter with a Dalek at the very least. It had been shut down the week before.

Still, the steam train ride up the Dee Valley towards Corwen was fun, if a little lacking in inter-galactic danger.

Tim F said...

I went to a couple of DW exhibitions when I was little. The only good thing about them was the chance to get inside a Dalek and exterminate my sister.

(I have several friends who took the obsession much further, and can tell you some terribly amusing stories about eyepatched Yetis on the toilet, or something.)

I, Like The View said...

anyone remember the enormous maggots from a really old episode of Dr Who (one of the ones with The Colonel in it)

I didn't like them at all

Mapeel said...

I bought a "The Angels have taken the phone booth" sweatshirt online. It's a tempered fandom thing to do.

Just the thought of the Empress of Rachnoss gives me the creeps (the arachnophobia thing, ya know.)