Monday, October 15, 2007

Out of the mouths

It fell to me to do the Karate run the other day. (I occasionally tend to three children. Dull story.) The boys do the karate, and I keep the girl amused. No sweat. We happened to be watching the lesson, and she remarked on one of the boys (for the class was composed entirely of the little beasts) saying that it was the chap in the white shirt. Of which there being many, I asked for further classification. Look, she said, the one with the blue belt, doing the kick. I saw exactly the fellow she meant.

She was pointing out the only boy black boy in a sea of white.

It clearly didn't occur to her that this was a valid distinction, or if she even saw it, it was not worthy of notice. This cheered me up NO END.

10 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm always so grateful when this happens. The hope that the next generation really won't consider skin color any more defining than hair color is always bright.

Anonymous said...

My mother has a similar story about me. I started school in Khartoum in a Church of England primary school and there was only one black child in the class.

I think children are generally "colour-blind". What I can't quite work out is when that changes. It is encouraging, though when something like this happens.

Mangonel said...

KHARTOUM!! What the blazes where you doing there!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Children pick up most attitudes from the adults around them, so give yourself a small pat on the back. Metaphorically, of course, wouldn't want you to hurt yourself with all that twisting and stretching.

I, Like The View said...

yup, my kids are the same

such a relief

my parents were so totally intolerant and racist it was embarassing

fab

well done you for your part

Anonymous said...

My dad transferred to the university there from Edinburgh University for a couple of years. I remember very little about it really, which is a shame.

Zig said...

hello??
It's november you know

Where Are You?

Anonymous said...

wotchu up to mango?
xxx

Zig said...

December now

Anonymous said...

The last words you wrote were NO END. Live up to 'em... Hope you're feeling festive.