Monday, September 17, 2007

Old Potatoes

See what happens when you leave stuff you should be cherishing and looking after and keeping up to date, or at least cutting up, boiling and eating, neglected for too long? It grows long white funny bits, and no-one wants to know any more. (Makes a pretty picture though, neh?)

On the subject of vegetables, the other day I found myself in tears while I was chopping the onions for supper. They were my own very first home-grown onions (an abundant crop - thank goodness I make terrific red onion marmalade) and it occurred to me that I hadn't cried over an onion in absolutely ages. Now, the thing about the huge supermarkets is that they are, to a significant degree, consumer lead. Did enough of us really get up on our hind legs, and whine that we didn't wike onions that made us cwy? Weally? And did the supermarket behemoths, in all their might and majesty, command an eradication of sulfenic acid? I mean, don't get me wrong, the tears I cried were oh-oh-that-burns-argh-ouch-bloody-hell-fucking-onions tears, right enough, but until that moment I had forgotten that that is what onions are supposed to do. Fucking supermarkets.

Golly, so much to say - the latest appallingness of my MiL, The Adventures of Mango in Wonderland, iTunes - Just How Far Behind The Times Am I?, FaceBook - Is It Just Me, Or Is It Really Rubbish?, the cultural indigestion caused by seeing HP5 and Downfall in the same week - where do I start?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the MiL, please!

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens you're back. I was worrying you'd abandoned us. I've tried to cotton onto Facebook and it does, indeed, seem utterly rubbish. How dare it try to replace the far more noble art of blogging?

Anonymous said...

one thing that puzzles me is seedless grapes. what do you have to plant to get those things?

Mangonel said...

Hi Marsha - MiL it is. Grrrr.

BiB - just a quick sabbatical, and glad to be back. Also, glad it's not just me who is nonplussed by Facebook. Have you tried any others, like Bebo?

RG - hmmm. Remember 'All Shook Up' and Elvis's 'fuzzy tree'? Gimme one of them seeds!

Anonymous said...

Mango, for God's sake don't try Bebo! Daughter number 1 is on Bebo and, much as I adore her, she's 15 going on 16 and seems to spend her time on there engaged in conversations of the utmost banality. OMG! MegaLOL!

Valerie said...

I think you're right about supermarket onions. And here I thought I was becoming immune...

Zig said...

you see I was chopping onions t'other day, they were organic highly expensive onions from the posh supermarket, but I'm ashamed to say I only bought them because all the others were sold out. My eyes poured and stung and really really hurt and I thought, bloody hell I'd forgotten how much onions hurt when you're not wearing contact lenses. So, you're telling me it wasn't the lack of contact lenses but the lack of stingy stuff? And is the past tense of stung stang?