Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ya gotta love the underpants

Of course I enjoyed it. Frank Miller graphics, a risible telling, and a complete misrepresentation of the facts. Yum.

No kidding though, the thing was wonderful to look at. The slo-mo, the fast-mo - obviously a quote, if not a direct steal, from the Green Wing technique. Some images of violence glossed over, some, especially a couple of head shots (!), lingered over. The dialogue of the 300 themselves very snappy (as per the original comic), the dialogue of events back home jingoistic and semantically null. Queen Gorgo (GORGO! No wonder no-one actually spoke her name in the nearly two hours of movie!) did a splendid job of looking like Lucilla in Gladiator. And Xerxes was divinely decadent.

Imagine my irritation when, as is my custom, staying in my seat until the last credit has rolled, I spot credits for 'Transsexual 1', 'Transsexual 2' and 'Transsexual 3' WHAT! I missed them! Now there's nothing for it but to buy the DVD the minute it comes out and go through the thing in slo-mo. This could take a while - maybe I'll get a take-away. Oh - and the much-vaunted girl-on-girl action? Half hearted, half baked, half arsed. Nothing to fax home about.

Go see it.

6 comments:

I, Like The View said...

am booking my ticket as soon as I've written this

Dave said...

Perhaps I won't bother, if the girl-on-girl action isn't up to much.

Anonymous said...

What about historical accuracy. Pinpoint, I imagine ...

I, Like The View said...

(dave is getting kind of racey, isn't he!)

The Dog of Freetown said...

What's this then, some kind of film or something? All films have 'Transsexual 1', 'Transsexual 2' and 'Transsexual 3' in them. It's contractual. Something to do with the Constitution I think.

Mangonel said...

ILTV! Tell me what you think!

Dave - I could make some other recommendations for you . . .

Kier-AN! What - Frank Miller's constitution?